BLACK BEAN & PUMPKIN TURKEY CHILI
This recipe is the ultimate comfort food for Fall without the guilt ~ Full of lean protein, vitamins, fiber, and anti-oxidants, it will fit right in to your clean eating plan! Did you know that pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A, fiber, and is super low in calories? I love cooking with it and use it in this recipe, as well as healthy baked muffins, quick breads, and overnight oats. There’s just something really comforting about having this healthy nutrient blended into recipes, especially in the Fall. This recipe provides the perfect balance of spicy and sweet for me, but you can of course add more heat if that’s what rocks your world! Makes 4 servings & can easily be doubled for more, or to freeze for meal prep.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb lean Ground Turkey
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp Ground Pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- ½ cup low sodium Chicken Broth (may need more for desired consistency)
- Half of a 15 oz can of Pumpkin Puree
- 1 15 oz can of Black Beans, rinsed
- Optional Healthy Toppings: sliced avocado, cilantro, sliced jalapeno, chopped green onions, chili
*Use organic ingredients wherever possible.
Heat olive oil in a large fry pan oven over med/high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until translucent. Add chopped garlic and sauté for another minute or two, being careful not to burn. Transfer to a large pot.
Add ground turkey to fry pan and cook through until no longer pink. Transfer to the pot.
Add all of the spices to the mixture, then the tomatoes, broth, pumpkin, and black beans. Stir all together and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
Serve with desired garnishes & enjoy!